Pages

Monday, September 12, 2011

TODAY’S GENEALOGY TIP

TODAY’S GENEALOGY TIP

Posted on
Thought I’d break it up a little and post something of what’s happening in the present.
I “met” a lady online in a Yahoo group who needed information on her family.  She had moved and left all her family history documents in storage and had to start over compiling her genealogy.  I contacted her and we emailed back and forth and we got her started again.  By the information she gave me, there was quite a bit in her memorybank already, but no dates and “maybe” placenames.  At least it was somewhere to start.  Let this be a lesson to all of us:  back up your research!!!  I use ancestry.com and download a gedcom from there to Rootsmagic and from there I can make a wall chart.  My sister is doing a scrapbook.  I have also printed out information for the other blog.  You can also use Google docs (which I did) or any one of a number of online storage areas.  Windows Live has one and there are several others.  Use a thumb drive or cd or put your work on another computer (laptop) or an external drive.  For me, best is printed or, if traveling by plane, thumbdrives are compact and can be used to print when you get to your destination.
Oh yes, a not-so-happy event turned out well and – coincidence – she and I had lived in the same three Canadian provinces in the same order and she now lives in the same province as me, is within a couple of years the same age as me, and lives about 3 hours away.  See what I mean about my  adventures in genealogy?

No comments:

Post a Comment